A HISTORY OF
SARGENT BAPTIST CHURCH
Historical records document that Sargent Baptist Church was formally constituted in 1917 in Coweta County, Georgia. "According to the 1988 History of Coweta County, the Sargent congregation came from a rural congregation, New Lebanon, which was founded in 1874. The first pastor at New Lebanon was Robert Whitton Hamrick (1823-1905), who pastored several area Baptist congregations."1
“In 1916, property for the church on Main Street in Sargent was purchased from the Methodist Conference, and construction began."2 The church has consistently served the Sargent Mill Village and surrounding areas since its organization.
Over the last 100 years, Sargent has had its ebbs and flows in regard to membership. In 2017, Sargent Baptist Church corporately dedicated themselves to the work of revitalization through prayer and a renewed focus on evangelism and discipleship.
1 Skinner, Winston. http://times-herald.com/news/2017/09/sargent-baptist-celebrating-100-years
2Skinner, Winston. http://times-herald.com/news/2017/09/sargent-baptist-celebrating-100-years